Zipping across the River Tyne for Paget's
Our Specialist Paget’s Nurse, Diana Wilkinson, is appealing for help to complete a special challenge. Diana will be descending from the iconic Tyne Bridge in Newcastle and zipping across the river Tyne, to raise awareness of Paget's Disease of Bone, as well as vital funds to support those with the condition.
The zip slide starts from the Newcastle side of the Tyne Bridge, 35 metres above the Newcastle quayside. It then travels diagonally across the River Tyne, finishing on the Gateshead side of the river, in the car park of HMS Calliope. The zip slide is 269 metres long and if you can bear to look, has fantastic views of both sides of the river. The event is managed by Zip Slides UK and Diana will take part in the event on Sunday 2nd April (there is also an event on the 1st April).
Diana explains why she is taking part:
“I’ve seen first-hand how hard it is to raise funds for a condition that many have never heard of. I wanted to do something special to help those who come to the Paget’s Association for support. This is a huge challenge for me. I looked up the definition of a zip wire. It said, ‘a cable stretched between two points of different heights, down which a person slides for amusement’ and an alternate name was ‘death slide’. Well let’s hope I am ‘amused’ rather than ‘scared to death’! It would be fantastic if others decide to join me but the main thing is that I need sponsors! I am determined to make it worthwhile by raising as much as possible to help the Charity continue to support those with Paget’s disease. Wish me luck!”
Can you help Diana? You can help in one of several ways:
Sponsor Diana by choosing one of the following:
Go to the sponsorship fundraising page by following this link (Virgin Money Giving website)
Telephone the office on 0161 7994646 with your debit or credit card details (during office hours) or post a cheque (payable to the Paget's Association) to Paget's Association, Suite 5, Moorfield House, Moorside Rd, Swinton, Manchester, M27 0JE.
Take part in the challenge (details below).
Come along on the 2nd April to cheer Diana on! (Let us know you intend to come so we can say hello!)
Support and share the relevant posts on social media.
Request a sponsorship form to help collect sponsors.
Information for those who are interested in taking part in the event
• There is a registration fee of £46 each, which participants pay direct to Zip Slides UK. In addition, those taking part are expected to raise as much money as possible in sponsorship for the Paget’s Association.
• Sponsorship forms are provided by the Paget’s Association.
• If you would like to, you can register with ‘Virgin Money Giving’, ‘mydonate’ or ‘Just Giving’ to collect sponsorship payments online.
• The minimum age to use the zip wire is 16. Those between 16 and 18 must have parental consent. There are weight limits of minimum 6 st (38 kg) and max 17.5 st (111 kg).
• Places are limited so if you would like to take part in this event, please book with Zip Slides UK here choosing Paget's Association as your chosen charity.
Information from ZipSlides UK can be found here
If you have a question or would like sponsor forms please contact Diana at the Paget’s Association: email: [email protected] or telephone 0161 7994646.